There’s a lot of hype around infused water with many claiming that it has some miraculous benefits for your skin, hair and weight-loss. But, how much of it is actually true? Well, we’re here to separate fact from fiction and answer your most commonly asked questions about infused water.
What is infused water?
In case you didn’t know, let us get you up to speed. Infused water, or detox water as it’s also known, is a combination of different fresh fruit, herbs, spices and vegetables immersed in a bottle of cold water to infuse it with flavour. It’s very quick and easy to make yourself at home and many people swear by its health benefits. Plus it’s a great way to encourage your kids to drink more water too rather than fruit juices and fizzy drinks which are high in sugars.
The myths about infused water
- It solves skin concerns - It’s well known that drinking plain, standard water helps to boost the hydration of your skin and therefore prevents acne and dryness. But, there’s little evidence to suggest that infused water speeds up the process or does anything different.
It detoxes your body - Anything that claims to detox your body is always a little questionable. What toxins exactly is it eliminating and how? Your body is already fully equipped to get rid of toxins and there is currently no evidence to suggest that any diet or product is able to make the process more efficient or faster. - Anything that claims to detox your body is always a little questionable. What toxins exactly is it eliminating and how? Your body is already fully equipped to get rid of toxins and there is currently no evidence to suggest that any diet or product is able to make the process more efficient or faster.
- It balances your pH - If you read that certain food or products can help to balance your pH levels, always remember that it is scientifically impossible to change the pH of your blood or cells through the food and drink you consume.
The health benefits of infused water
Aside from the myths, there are actually a lot of health benefits to drinking infused water.
- Improved energy levels and mood - Dehydration can severely affect your mood, even if you don’t realise it. Adults who drink around 2.5 litres of water a day are typically happier, have more energy and feel calmer. If fruit infused water is more enjoyable to drink then it will help you increase your water intake.
Increases vitamin intake - The vitamin C you find in fruit is great for boosting your immune system. So including vitamin C rich fruits such as oranges in your water will increase your vitamin intake and keep you hydrated.
Helps digestive system - Hydration is important for a healthy digestive system and helps prevent you from feeling bloated. If drinking fruit infused water encourages you to drink more, then your digestive system will certainly thank you for it.
Aids weight loss - People who drink lots of water every day tend to have more success when it comes to weight loss as it temporarily increases your metabolic rate and curbs your hunger.
Does detox water actually work?
People who finish extremely strict detox diets often comment on how much better they feel afterwards. But, the reality is when you make healthier food choices and cut back on processed, salty and sugary foods and upping your water intake, your body will be less prone to fatigue, headaches, bloating, fogginess and give you more energy. Whether the water is infused or not doesn’t really make much of a difference except some people prefer the taste and therefore drink more of it which is great. So, this means that no super restricted detox is actually required!
The most popular infused ingredients and what they do for your health
- Oranges - great for vitamin C intake
- Ginger - provides anti-inflammatory effects
- Cucumbers - great for your digestive system
- Apples - recommended for those with high-cholesterol or diabetes
- Blackberries - high in vitamin C and fibre
The most healthy times to drink different types of infused water
3 quick recipes to suit different needs
For weight loss - Lemon and mint or cucumber. Apple and cinnamon. Grapefruit. All of these fruits have great fat burning properties when consumed before meals and are incredibly nutritious.
For energy - Strawberry, lemon and mint. Lemon and basil leaves. Orange, lemon, raspberry and mint. All of these combinations will snap you out of feeling lethargic and give you a boost of energy during the day.
For skin - Orange and lime. Watermelon and strawberry. Lemon, mint, cucumber and ginger. These ingredients will provide a super refreshing drink, keeping your hydrated and giving your skin a natural glow.
Infuse your water in one of our reusable stainless steel water bottles so you can carry it with you wherever you go!
Alternatively, we also have reusable stainless steel coffee tumblers that are designed to keep your hot drinks hot and your cold drinks cold.